Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Top 10 Books List

A friend (frequent reader) of the blog, "Still breathing" requested my list of favorite books, so here you go. These books have been a joy to read. Read long and prosper! :)

1- Master of the Game: Sidney Sheldon; You all should know by now how much of a Sidney Sheldon fan I am. Sheldon was at the top of his game when he wrote Master of the Game. It is a classic Family Saga/Epic that spans decades. Many writers tried to duplicate Sheldon's success with the same formula but so many fell short because Sheldon was one of, if not the best when came to writing family drama. This is an excellent read, one I can guarantee will not only hold your attention and capture your imagination, it will not allow you to put it down, until you're finished.

2- The Motorcycle Diaries: Ernesto CHE Guevara; The diaries from the roadtrip of latin America which Guevara under went before becoming the freedom fighter we all know. Great five star biography. The only biography page turner :)

3- Gangster: Lorenzo Carcaterra; This book was recommended to me by a good friend of mine. I actually nicked this book off him. :P To me this is a more personal story than the Godfather book. I really enjoyed the transition from old school gangsters to new gangsters. I like how Carcaterra developed his characters and gave you the sense of feeling about them.
If you have any interest in crime stories, the mafia or immigration, this is the perfect book for u.

4- The Davinci Code: Dan Brown; I couldn't put this book down ! The storyline, characters, events and twists are tailormade for Hollywood. Shame the movie didn't live up to the same standards the book has set.

5- Rebel Code: Glyn Moody; The book gives a complete history of open source development in a fun non-nerd way. The strong point of the book is that the depth of coverage on open source history is unmatchable. My most favorite chapters are the ones that describe the early development of Linux. If you are into tech stuff then don't miss this one.

6- The Old Man and The Sea: Ernest Hemingway; The only Hemingway novel I've read "Need to read more", The only way I can describe this book is by saying "WOW", I mean you just can see "or read :P" why he got the Nobel prize for this one. The novel tells the story of an old man who faces physical, emotional and spiritual pain just to reach is goal "Catching a fish"

7- A Tale of Two Cities: Charles Dickens; What book list would be complete without a classic ? Well, this is my favorite classic novel. I mean what a way to start a book:

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way-in short
Enough said :)

8- If Tomorrow Comes: Sidney Sheldon; Yup ! You've guessed it ! My 2nd favorite Sheldon book. :P An amazing fast paced novel, it has it all, Love, betrayal, suspense, action etc. The book tells the story of an innocent dreamy girl gone bad (becoming the most wanted woman on the Interpol's list).

9- The Falls: Ian Rankin; This Author's work will always have a special place in my heart. His storylines are always set in my beloved Edinburgh. I used to get chills down my spine , walking the streets of Edinburgh "The ones mentioned in his books obviously". Anyway (The Falls) is about a missing wealthy young college socialite, and a miniature coffin which has been found near her home. Inspector Rebus (The main character of Rankin's novels) goes through his usual dyfunctional life trying to solve this mystery. A good read ! Don't let the Scottish slang and references put you off. :D :P

10-
Stupid White Men: Michael Moore; I don't care what people say about this guy, the book is an interesting fun conspiracy style read.

That's my list feel free to add yours :) ;)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love to read! But it's almost impossible to pick favourites - because every single one, has a special meaning... ;)

11:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a lot in common. you might also like to watch 'El Che And Tracing Che' that’s also an excellent documentary and u get to know more of what others thought of Ernesto, like friends and family... you must read more for Ernest Hemingway, 'Sun Also Rises' and 'Farewell to arms' are some of my favorites... you will also enjoy Gabriel Garcia Marquez, any of his books is a masterpiece, the guy is a genius. I can't recommend '100 years of solitude' more... right now I’m reading a book called 'the world is flat' by Thomas Friedman and so far its really good.. I will be sure to make a recommendation when I’m done... good taste, I’m impressed with your list...

12:14 AM

 
Blogger Khalid said...

Good list Mo, I share a few books with you, as you already know hehe.

Isabelle, I'd have to say, we have a lot in common. I actually own 'El Che and Tracing Che' and second what you said about Gabriel Garcia Marquez being awesome. You might wanna check the book that started it all for him, 'Leaf Storm'. The world is flat is also a good book.

Ok, my favourite list is the following:

- 1984 by George Orwell --> Has to be my favourite. I wasn't into it for the first 70 pages or so, but then it really hit me hard. I'd say this book is the basis of 'Big Brother' and as time passes coupled with current world affairs, this one gets more and more real.

- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe --> Awesome piece of African literature (Nigeria to be specific) and involves the story of a Chinua Achebe, a great intellectual and ethical figure.

- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn --> Story about the struggle of millions under the rule of Stalin. The story takes place in a Siberian labour camp.

- Bolivian Diary by Ernesto Guevara and Lucia Alvarez de Toledo --> The diary of the revolutionary leader Che Guevara.

- A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen --> Awesome, filled with lots of drama and suspense for such a short play.

- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton --> Great American classic that demonstrates a heartbreaking tale of passion.

- Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy --> Conflict of the superpowers, which involves the vision of modern warfare.

Books I share with Mo:

- Rebel Code by Glyn Moody

- Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I think this is it, unless I can remember other great books that I've read.

2:05 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Stjernesol: I agree with what you say, it can be hard listing your top 10, it took me ages ! :)

isabelle: I'll take your advice on reading more Hemingway and start reading for Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Any suggestions for that ? :)

Khalid: A good book list ! :) I didn't like 1984 though; it's one of these novels which keeps dragging on and on and on! :P Never managed to finish it, lost my interest ! :P

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Khalid said...

Mo, like I said, I didn't really get into it for the first 70 pages or so but then it was absolutely amazing.

For Gabriel Garcia Marquez, if you want one of his first piecies, read 'Leaf Storm' or the book that a lot of people read or are reading, which is the one Isabelle talked about: '100 years of solitude'.

11:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Munther, yeah, like i said, '100 years of solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but my personal favourite, and i have re-read it so many times, is, 'Love in The Time Of Cholera' also by Marquez. Let me know what you think if you do read any of my recommendations.

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Ali Al Saeed said...

As a writer reading is just as improtant as writing, but I am guilty of not doing it too often.

You have a great list there, but I must admit I read none of them. (did see the Motorcycle Diary film and that was brilliant!)

The only book that I read more than twice is Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Khalid said...

Hey Ali, welcome :).

I've actually recently saw an article by you about being a journalist for a day, interesting. Am also going to read your book 'QuixotiQ' in the near future. You should be proud of being the first Bahraini english novelist :).

I've personally never read Stardust, don't know about Mo, but I've heard it's an excellent read.

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Veeeva said...

thanks 4 posting this! u'll encourage me to ask u to write abt sth in specific again ..lol

my fav. are:

The unbearable lightness of being
~Milan Kundera

Catch 22
~Joseph Heller

Veronica decides to die
~Paulo Coelho

A long way down
~Nick Hornby

Whispers of death
~Christopher Pike

Angels and Demons
~Dan Brown

The Government inspector
~Nikoli Gogol

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

isabelle: Will give your recommendations a try, give me a wee bit of time and I'll get back to you ! ;)

Ali Alsaeed: Welcome Ali to our blog, hope to see you more often :) Thank you for your comment, I've read the book (The motor cycle diaries) and watched the movie, it was quite interesting to see how they managed to find a guy who had similar looks to Geuvara. Speaking of reading a book twice, I can't understand how people manage to do so ! :) I mean once I've read a book that's me done and dusted, but I'll give my no 1 on the list another shot and see how it goes ! :) :P

Still Breathing: No problem my friend, I was running low on topics anyway :D I'll give the dan brown book a shot, I checked it on amazon and it sounds promising :)

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Veeeva said...

it is better than the Da vinci code (i read both)..i'd have lent it 2 u..if u were here in egypt :)

and about reading a book more than once...i don't do that too...all the glamour and fascination lies in the 1st time..esp, when it is a novel.

btw, have u read any of Coelho's works? if so, what do u think about his style?

4:27 AM

 
Blogger Um Naief said...

great list of books you have here. but, unfortunately, i've read none of them. i love to read but haven't found a book that has really touched me in a while. i think the last book that i read was ali al saeed's book.. which was quite good. i started reading another, but put it down and haven't picked it back up.

my fav kind of books are the ones that you can't put down... the ones that you sneak to read in the bathroom while at work, and then read as soon as you get home from work until you go to bed. i love these kind!!

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Still breathing: so I've heard, you can post it to me ! :P I agree with you my friend, the glamour and fascination of novels lies in the 1st read.

Coelho ? I'm afraid that I've never heard of him :P but if you recommend a certain book and pick it gladly ! :)

tooners: Thank you very much ! :) I'd recommend my all time fav. "Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon" trust me you'll love this one ! :)

6:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coelho's writing style is beginning to get a little repetitive, his most popular book is The Alchemist which I have enjoyed, but my personal favorite, the book that really made me think, is called 'Veronica Decides To Die' I would definitely be interested on your thoughts in regards to this book, although I’m not so sure it's the kind of thing you would be into, its a little deep, dark and philosophical.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger MSB said...

wow..u reminded of the good ol' days! I used to be a huge Sheldon fan! "Master of the Game" and "If Tomorrow Comes" - excellent books and the movies they made weren't too bad either!

12:34 AM

 
Blogger Gaz said...

I dont know where you's get the time to read so many books,i've only read 2 books in my life?

3:52 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

isabelle: Hehe my wishlist is getting longer by the day, 'Veronica Decides To Die' sounds interesting, will try to get my hands on a copy ! :)

MSB: Never got to watch the movies yet, in fact I never knew that they've been turned into movies, will definitely try and rent them :)

gazza: lol, tell me about it mate ! :) I don't get to read as much as I'd like to anymore ! :( Symptoms of increasing responsibilities! :P

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Khalid said...

2 books in your life, lol :D.

I just finished reading a book called 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman', took me 3 days. I actually liked it, provides some nice insider info about economic corruption.

1:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home