Friday, July 07, 2006

Films based on novels !! (a movie rant)

One of the things I keep promising myself is that I would never go to a movie of which I’ve read its book. This promise I gave myself when I went to watch “Hannibal” (after reading the book) just to discover that the movie is absolute kak in comparison with the novel itself ! Now I know that there is no chance of a film beating the original novel in the amount of detail provided but still, nowadays with all the advances in the use of multimedia and special effects, you’d expect that the film would cast a different angle or point of view to what you’ve read already. I find films based on novels always lack to do so and always fall a bit short (lacks the final wow factor).

So what sparked this movie rant ? Well sadly I keep breaking promises which I give myself !! :P Last night, I went to (Don’t judge me, kept my promise for a month B)) “The Da Vinci code”. The movie started in a good manner which made me think “that this might not be such a bad idea after all”. I liked how the director added the nice memory flashbacks and all :O, but it seemed to me nearing the end of the movie that things were starting to get shallow in details (it seemed to me that 3 to 4 chapters were left out) :-x hence changing the conclusion of the story. So while I rate the novel very highly, I’d give the film itself 3.5 stars at most. And will give you this advice my friends “NEVER go to a film in which you’ve read its novel” rent it maybe, but don’t bother of making a night out of it!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Analysis of the difference between the movie and the novel, but I don't think that the movie was that bad:P Wonderful topic;)

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Hi e7..

I am not saying that the movie was a flop (it won't be the worst movie of the summer) I did enjoy it, but it didn't change my perception "novel based films aren't as good as the novels"

4:49 PM

 
Blogger Um Naief said...

I haven't read the book but started watching the movie. Stopped cuz I thought it was confusing. I've seen some documentaries on the topic while visiting in the States... and, honestly, I'm one who actually believes it could be true... and I was raised Catholic.

8:56 AM

 
Blogger Gaz said...

I thought the film was way past cool,a bit confusing at the start,then it all fell into place,i hadent read the book but ive heard the film isent as good?

5:18 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Well gazza,

If they had added more details from the book ! especially in the end, it would've been waaaaaaaaaay cooler !! B)

1:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home