Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Rich dad, poor dad ! cult scam?

Is becoming rich affected by the way we've been raised ? Does having poor folks mean that you will become poor yourself ? Do rich people have a secret which they use in raising their kids ? I really doubt that ! B)

I've been reading a book titled “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” lately, This book was recommended to me through a course which I was attending (Money Coaching) “Oprah Style :P”. The course tutor have claimed that the book contains ideas from the point of view of helping people whom have not had a good "economic" upbringing (MOI :P). The book speaks of how the author came from a middle class family (poor in the authors opinion) and that his dad's ideas about improving yourself (Education, Working hard, Work experience etc.) were wrong. While his friends dad “Rich Dad” had the correct attitude to become rich (No need for education etc) :o , This is highly arguable, for not all rich people were a disaster at school.

The author thinks that having plenty of money means success. Being a doctor or a teacher is not successful because all they do is make money and pay taxes. (No one would be a doctor or a teacher if this selfish view of success was embraced by all. Thankfully it isn't - according to the author's own father: "Schoolteachers really don't think about being rich. We just like to teach." Without people paying taxes only rich people would be able to afford even a basic education and healthcare.)

The worst advice was (The reason you want to have rich friends who are close to the inside is because that is where the money is made. It's made on information. the sooner you know, the better your chances are for profits with minimal risk. That is what friends are for). :o

The book makes a great read and I did enjoy reading it ! But it should be used to make you think positive about things i.e "not fearing investing your money" and not as a bible like the way the tutor was portraying it to be !

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad contains much wrong advice, much bad advice, some dangerous advice, and virtually no good advice."

John T Reed (publisher of Real Estate Investor's Monthly newsletter

This rang an alarm and made me think that if this book was topping the charts then lots of people (just like the tutor) are thinking that the book is the highway to all their financial dreams ! While books of this sort “get rich quick” should be approached with care and should NOT even be recommended in any course !

Is it fun to read ? YES ! Does it make you think postively when it comes to finance? YES! Is it a key to financial success ? HELL NO ! :x

I take it that I won't be shouting of the roofs that I am rich anytime soon :P :D

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaz said...

The author of the book is getting rich lol.

5:39 AM

 
Blogger Khalid said...

Haha Gazza, I was about to write that, it's soo true lol. Now I haven't read this book, heard about it and had a conversation with Mo lately about it. Could be an intersting read, I might borrow it off you soon.

One thing for sure, the stock and exchange markets, that's where the $$$$$ is!!!

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Gazza : I'll have to agree with you on that one gazza ! :D I had the impression that the author is a dell boy "only fools and horses" ! :D

Khalid: I can't believe it ! You cracked the code mate ! :P

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Devion Ayers said...

In my opinion, this book was a good read. I believe that your professor, as well as the author, had the intention of broadening your view on how to approach your career choices and financial decisions. In no way is this a success bible or finance guide, just an eye opener for the people with blinders on.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Hey dev..

First of all I'd like to welcome you to our blog. Considering the subject:

Well, the book makes a great read and I did enjoy reading it ! :) I do agree with you Dev on how it should be used, I think that readers should use it as a positive thinking charger typa thing i.e "not fearing investing your money" and not as a map to success.

6:29 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

First of all welcome to our blog DIB and hope for this to be the first of many more. About the subject I'd have to agree, The positive and negative loans bit was quite interesting and a bit useful although I find some of the given examples to not be quite on the spot sometimes ! i.e Student loans are negative ? I don't think so, you are investing in yourself and your future !

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home