Saturday, August 19, 2006

Happiness is a puzzling thing

These days I can't help but wonder what happiness really is, the concept of happiness differs from one to another, everyone of us has his/her own perception of happiness, for example lets say that A guy called Mohammed won the lottery. A cool BD 25 million ! He appeared to be a good man with a good character. Of the many types of people who might have won, his friends were happy it was Mohammed. But two years later he was arrested for drink driving, resisting arrest and having drugs in his car. The arrests continued over the next few years. The excitement of winning did not grow into a lifelong happiness.

While Ali, a successful businessman, who had no friends, worked long hours, saving and reinvesting most of his money. He was disliked for his independence and envied for his wealth. Yet his life was full of contentment and happiness. Why does wealth bring happiness to some and misery to others? This thought really got me confused :O

If wealth is not a shortcut to happiness, what is ? One might count sacrificing for others as a ticket to happiness ! OK then, lets say that Mona is a volunteer in an elderly care center, she works there 6 days /week, 52 weeks a year, but hates it, hates her life, and has grown especially bitter towards the people she serves.

Yasmeen, an engineer, never does volunteer work. If she gives to charity, she does so very selectively. Acquaintances envious of her success call her selfish. Yet Yasmeen is very happy.


There are many people who we think should be happy but are not. (Mohammed the "lucky" lottery winner and Mona the "serious" volunteer.)

There are many people who we think should be miserable but are not. (Ali the "loner" businessman and Yasmeen the "selfish" engineer.)

Some people who seem to have nothing are very happy. Some people who seem to have everything are not. Yet some jet-setters seem happy while some moral crusaders have become miserable old grouches. I can't help but think that happiness seems very unpredictable, inconsistent, irrational. I yearn for the simpler times I had as a kid, when a toy or a kick of a ball would make me happy, sadly this is not the case anymore ! Don't miss understand me, I am very happy and I enjoy every minute of my life.

To me being successful is happiness, this is what keeps me going, this is what makes me wake up everyday ! Will this change within time ? God only knows, but for now this is the main ingredient in my life (Success = Happiness). So what is happiness to you? A penny for your thoughts people ! ;)

12 Comments:

Blogger Gaz said...

If........If,god struck me down dead,i'd have to shake the big fellas hand and say "thanx for that mate,i had a ball,but....i would have liked a bit longer to be a grandad"i think,life is what you make it,it could be better(or a lot worse)so enjoy it while you can!

4:56 AM

 
Blogger Um Naief said...

interesting query. i do not believe you can buy happiness. many women marry for money and think it'll bring happiness but it usually doesn't. many ppl believe that money is the key to happiness, but i believe it is the root to all evil. honestly, i think one makes their own happiness. you choose to be happy or not. if you choose to look at like in a sad way and be unhappy and depressed about everything, then you will not be happy. if you see life as a gift and that all things are life lessons, then i think it's easier to be happy.

i think a person has the opportunity to be happy every day. when you wake up, you have the chance to say positive things to yourself or negative things. you have the choice about whether to get mad over certain things or to think of the positives. it's all a decision and a state of mind.

i think it's healthier to be happy, personally. altho, there are days i struggle w/in myself, but it gets easier w/ time. :)

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Gaz: Alright mate, nice to have you back on the blog, I agree with you ! You choose to make your life either happy or sad ! spot on mate ! :)

tooner: Hi tooner, it's true that money doesn't buy happiness but it does help in the process of becoming happy, I mean would you be happy if you were stinkin poor ? it's a 50/50 thing; being too rich makes you take things for granted because you can buy literally anything.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Um Naief said...

the way i see it... so many ppl, women especially, tend to marry for money. yeah, they are happy in the sense that they can buy whatever they want, go anywhere they want... but are they truly happy. many may say they are, but i am one that doesn't believe it. if so, why are there so many divorces. even here... ppl say they are happy when they get arranged marriages or otherwise... and marry for money, but then you have the men and women cheating on each other, marrying addt'l wives and such... i just don't get it.

and even if a person is poor, they can still be happy. if they are starving.. well, i'm sure physically they wouldn't be happy... but i've seen interviews w/ ppl in africa who are sooo poor but they are so happy. they have a happy spirit and a wanting for life. yes, money does afford you luxuries in life but in the end, those material things don't bring happiness. maybe for a short bit until it wears off, then... you are in search for happiness once again.

once when i was doing some volunteering in dallas, i delivered some food to these ppl in the projects and i sat in my car and cried. i had a really nice car, nice clothes, nice home, nice things but still didn't feel happy. in that place of always wanting more... well, here sat ppl w/ nothing or hardly nothing and they were happy. it made me reevaluate my life.

i don't know.. this is very interesting topic and something that could be debated for days and still have more to debate.

11:26 AM

 
Blogger Gaz said...

You've opened a can worms here Munther!A friend of ours has the big C,.....i'm not getting at you,....but,what's the difference of living in a mansion,driving a merc,to liviving in a council house driving a fiesta,its a short life,so enjoy it while you can,dont get any pets coz they break your heart when they die.

4:58 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

Guys, it seems that you have misunderstood me :) , I am not saying that money is everything, in fact I would rather be poor and live a happy life than being rich and taking everything for granted. I mentioned at the original post that to me success (work/relations etc) is a very important aspect in my life and plays a major role in me being happy. Oh yeah and gaz, I think its too late for not getting a pet, already have a pet parrot !

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Gaz said...

I can see where your coming from,we all try to leed happy live's,money does make things easy'r,if i won the lottery,i'd be out of England within days,take early retirement in the Algarve or the like's,or just drive a taxi till i croke,like most taxi drivers......LOL

4:15 AM

 
Blogger LiB Team said...

Well happiness to me would be: I don't wanna have shitloads of money, I just wanna have some money with being stable and debt-free (which is impossible in Bahrain lol), and have a long vacation in the Carribean sippin' on PinaColladas :D

12:24 PM

 
Blogger Munther said...

gazza: During my uni years at the UK, I used to buy tickets every now and then, I never won a penny ! :x I guess I am not the lucky type, hope you manage to win someday "fingers crossed" ;) Don't forget to invite me to your huge villa at Algarve though ! whats the Jackpot like these day by the way ? :)

Lib team: Thats sooooo true, we have become so materialistic that we need loans to satisfy our needs. I mean it doesn't matter how much you make, here in Bahrain, you'll always have the urge to go for loans ! it must be genetic :P :)

OHHHHHHHH the Caribbean ? I keep promising myself that I'll go there someday "honeymoon probably" but would rather go there with the guys, oh come on ! you know what I mean ! B)

12:50 PM

 
Blogger Um Naief said...

The Caribbean is SOOOOO beautiful. Unlike any water you can imagine! What island are you thinking about? There are so many places w/ beautiful things to see, to do... and the food in those parts is absolutely fabulous!

I used to play the lotto, but only won one time... it was like $200. Our office used to go in together for the big jackpots but we never won!

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Munther said...

hey tooner..

Not really bothered which island as long as its the caribbean ! B) hmmm 200 ? not to shabby ! :) at least you've won summin !! :D I never won anything :(

10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello stickie-bh.blogspot.com owner found your site via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home